This documentation is for Legacy Checkbox Version 6. Please visit our Checkbox Version 7 Documentation page for current user guides.
Let’s face it, no matter how many snazzy question types, pretty colors, and great images you use to brand and stylize your online surveys, they can still come across as pretty flat and impersonal. Luckily, the availability and affordability of video equipment, software, and multimedia websites have made adding video content to surveys incredibly easy. Video allows you to jump off the screen, inject some personality into your surveys, or share information with your participants that you just can’t get across in words or images.
Embedding videos directly into your Checkbox Surveys is super quick and easy by hosting your video on a site like YouTube or Vimeo and then adding the embed code to a Checkbox HTML item in your survey. You can create a video for your intro or completion page to welcome your participants, explain the purpose of the survey, tell them more about your organization, or offer them a heart-felt thank you for taking your survey. You can also position embedded videos above or next to question items and ask participants questions related to the video such as “How do you rate this video?” or “What were your impressions of the featured product after watching the video/commercial?”
The following instructions are for YouTube but can be easily adapted for Vimeo.
How to embed a YouTube video in your Checkbox survey:
1. Either upload your video to YouTube or locate the video you want to use. Make sure you own the rights to all videos that you embed in your online surveys.
2. Click the ‘Share’ button under the video you want to embed and then select the ‘Embed’ button.
3. Copy the HTML code that appears below the ‘Embed’ button by hitting ‘Ctrl-C’ on your keyboard or using the ‘Copy’ function on the menu of your internet browser.
4. Add a new survey within Checkbox or choose the survey from the Survey Editor that you would like to add the video too. Choose ‘Add Item’ from the Survey Editor and under ‘Display Items’ select ‘HTML/Message’.
5. Click the <> button under Question Text and paste the embed code in the box provided either by hitting ‘Ctrl V’ or choosing ‘Paste’ from your internet browser menu. Click ‘Save’.
6. Your video will now appear in the Survey Editor, in the preview window, and the survey test link. You can now add borders, related questions, or messages about your video. The possibilities are endless – have fun!