By using the ‘Answer Format’ within options of the open-ended single-line survey item, you can select the validation required for that specific question item. Format options include:
- Date (MM/DD/YYYY or DD/MM/YYYY)
- Alpha-numeric string
- Letters Only
- Email Address
- Numeric Characters Only
- Postal Code (US/Canada)
- Phone Numbers (North America)
- Social Security Number
- String – Uppercase
- String – Lowercase
When an option is selected where an answer is required and a respondent adds an incorrect entry, they will be notified of this error and have the ability to update their response.
Here is a step by step guide on how to achieve this:
1. Select ‘Add Item’ to your survey page followed by ‘Open-Ended Single-Line’.
2. Enter the information you are looking for under ‘Question Text’, e.g. Email Address:
3. Under ‘Behavior’ select ‘Answer Format’ and from the drop down list of available options, select ‘Email Address’
4. Determine whether this question is going to be ‘optional’ or ‘required’ by the respondent and select appropriately under ‘Behavior’.
5. Test this question to make sure it is operating the way you expected. For example, if the respondent enters an invalid email address they will be notified of this error and have the ability to update their response.
6. The response should then be a valid email address that will allow the respondent to continue along with the survey.
7. Survey creators can add as many ‘Single-line free text’ entries as they require in order to collect valid date from their respondents.