Do I need to use Checkbox email campaigns or can I just use my own email?
No – you are welcome to copy and paste the public survey link into your own personal or company email, if you would prefer. However, sending your surveys via Checkbox email campaigns allows you to schedule and send emails and follow-up reminders, track respondent status, and track and report on bounces and opt-outs. Campaign links can also automatically log your respondents into Checkbox, if you want to send your emails to Contacts in Checkbox.
Creating a Checkbox Email Campaign
1. Import Your Respondents (optional)
If you are going to send your email to registered Checkbox Contacts (so you can associate details like name or company with your response), you need to import your respondents in the Contacts manager before setting up your campaign. For more details on how to create new Contacts in Checkbox, please see our Contact Import Guide.
Otherwise, you will be able to copy and paste email addresses directly into your campaign, following the steps below.
2. Create a New Campaign
From the Share tab of your survey, click the Create Email button under the Campaigns header.
3. Set Basic Campaign Options
On the Campaign Name screen:
- Give your email campaign a name. This will not be shown to respondents, so it should be something that will help you identify the campaign.
- Either create a blank campaign or copy the message and subject from an existing email campaign.
- Choose if you want to Allow the allow survey link to automatically log respondents in. This option is only relevant if you are sending your email to Contacts or Groups that you have set up in Checkbox. If you uncheck this option and send your email to Contacts or Groups, they will be required to enter their username and password to take the survey.
- Add a new Company Profile or choose one from the list. The Company Profile includes your organization’s name and mailing address – it is required on Checkbox hosted accounts and recommended for Checkbox on-premises accounts in order to comply with anti-spam laws. The address information from the Company profile will be automatically merged into your email – see step 4.5 below.
4. Customize Your Email Message
- Enter the From Email, From Name, and Subject for your email.
- Enter your email message in the text box provided. Use the formatting options or custom HTML to customize fonts, add images, and further brand your email.
- Within the subject and message text fields you can click the @ icon to merge in Contact profile information, such as First Name and Company. Note that merging will only work if you are sending your email campaign to registered Checkbox Contacts or Groups (versus just email addresses).
- You can click the <> button to edit the display text for your survey link and unsubscribe link, but do not delete these links or modify the “href” code for these links, as you will break your respondent tracking . If you have any questions about how to safely modify these links, please contact support prior to sending your email campaign.
- You can change the formatting and placement of your company footer merge codes, but you must ensure that your email message includes the following merge codes or it will not send: @@FooterAddress1, @@FooterCity, @@FooterState, @@FooterPostCode, and @@FooterCountry.
- Click Save.
5. Customize your Reminder Message (optional)
If you plan to send follow-up reminders, you can add a separate message for your reminder emails.
6. Add Your Recipients
On the Add Recipients screen you have the option to add recipients to your email list. To add recipients to your email, select the type of recipient you would like to add from the three available options:
- Email Addresses – Copy and paste or type email addresses into the text field, one per line.
- Contacts – Respondents that you have imported into the Checkbox Contacts area. See this guide for more details.
- Groups – Contact Groups that you have created in the Checkbox Contacts area. See this guide for more details.
TIP: If you want to be able to personalize your email or survey with custom Contact profile information like name or company, you need to use the Contacts or Group option.
7. Send a Test Email (optional)
To send yourself or someone else a test email, click the Send Test Message button on the Manage Recipients tab and enter your email address. You can send as many tests as you’d like.
8. Send or Schedule your Campaign
On the Schedule screen you can choose to:
- Send the email campaign as soon as possible. The email will be queued to send as soon as you select Send.
- Schedule the campaign for a specific date and time. If this option is selected, click into the date field to view a date/time picker.
- Save the campaign as a draft for later sending or scheduling.
9. Schedule your Reminder(s) (optional)
Once you have scheduled or sent your initial email, you will see a Schedule a Reminder button appear on the Schedule tab. Click this to select the date and time you’d like to send your reminder – you may schedule one or more reminders. Make sure to click Save under the 3-dot icon to save your reminder schedule.
10. If You Need to Modify Your Campaign Schedule
Scheduled emails can be modified up until the point that they are queued for sending (generally about 5 minutes before your scheduled send time). To edit your email campaign schedule, click the Edit option under the 3-dot icon on the Schedule tab.